School pupils across Cumbria have reduced their carbon footprint and stayed healthy as part of a three-week challenge that saw almost 10,000 journeys to school made by walking, scooting or cycling.
- 27/3/2013 - Health scrutiny committee to discuss hospital services
Cumbria’s Health Scrutiny Committee will hear how hospitals in Cumbria are working to make improvements at its meeting next week (Thursday 4 April at County Offices, Kendal, 10am).
- 27/3/2013 - School holidays nuisance fire warning
Firefighters in Carlisle are warning that deliberate fires could put lives at risk during the school holidays.
- 26/3/2013 - Copeland Local Committee allocates over £85,000 to the local community
Local communities in Copeland have received a significant cash boost thanks to Cumbria County Council’s Copeland Local committee.
- 26/3/2013 - Brassed-on in Barrow
Young Barrow brass musicians are keeping in tune with a booming new initiative that’s making all the right noises.
- 26/3/2013 - Award for council`s M-obile-friendly website
Cumbria County Council’s website has a sought-after new status for its mobile-friendly accessibility.
- 26/3/2013 - Continuing cold snap sparks chimney fire warning
With cold weather continuing to bite despite the arrival of spring, people in Cumbria are being warned again of the dangers of chimney fires.
- 26/3/2013 - Pupils have another chance to `Sing to Win` to promote green ways to school
Cumbria County Council is giving school pupils in Cumbria an extra chance to write and perform their own song, and the opportunity to win a performance from an X factor finalist, by extending the deadline for the ‘Sing to Win’ competition.
- 25/3/2013 - County council highways teams battle the big freezeCumbria County Council has been working with other agencies over the weekend to tackle the hazardous weather conditions that have hit the county.
- 25/3/2013 - Push the button on Smoke Alarm Sunday
Householders in Cumbria are being urged to test their smoke alarms when they put the clocks forward this weekend.
- 25/3/2013 - Wedding Fayre at Lady Gillford`s House
Cumbria Registration Service is opening its doors for the first Wedding Fayre at the new home of civil wedding ceremonies in Carlisle, Lady Gillford’s House at Petteril Bank
- 22/3/2013 - County council to carry out road repairs in Dalton
Cumbria County Council is set to carry out urgent road and drainage works on Mill Brow, Dalton in early April.
- 22/3/2013 - Citizenship ceremony figures show Cumbria`s worldwide appeal
New figures released by Cumbria's Registration Service show that nearly 1,400 people have taken British citizenship in the county since 2004.
- 21/3/2013 - Grants boost for South Lakeland communities
More than £60,000 has been granted to a variety of community projects and causes across South Lakeland.
- 21/3/2013 - Retailers tested in underage booze sting
Trading Standards officers and the police joined forces this week to test if retailers would sell alcohol to an underage customer.
- 20/3/2013 - Sandgate Hydrotherapy Pool gets funding injection
Kendal's Sandgate Hydrotherapy Pool has been given a funding boost from county councillors in South Lakeland.
- 20/3/2013 - Less than two weeks left for school pupils to `Sing to Win`
Cumbria County Council’s Active Travel team is reminding schools that they have less than 2 weeks left to sign up to a singing competition which could see them win a performance by an X factor finalist.
- 20/3/2013 - Make sure you can vote
All 84 seats on Cumbria County Council are up for election on 2 May this year.
- 20/3/2013 - Allerdale Local Committee allocates nearly £200k to local community projects
Local communities in Allerdale have received a significant cash boost thanks to Cumbria County Council’s Allerdale Local committee.
- 20/3/2013 - Kendal`s County Offices awarded Grade II Listing
Kendal's County Offices have been awarded Grade II Listing by English Heritage – officially marking it out as a building of special architectural or historic interest.
- 19/3/2013 - Grants boost for young people in South Lakeland
More than £11,000 of grants for young people have been approved by members of Cumbria County Council’s South Lakeland Local Committee.
- 19/3/2013 - Opening hours for council services over Easter weekend
Cumbria County Council will continue to provide key services over the Easter weekend. However, some council offices will be closed and others may have different opening hours during the Easter weekend from 29 March – 1 April.
- 19/3/2013 - Picture story: From Westminster to Windermere - minister goes green with GoLakes Travel
The growing number of ways to visit the most popular areas of the Lake District without relying on your own car has gained political recognition at the top level, with the transport minister visiting Cumbria to find out more about the exciting new initiatives being delivered through the GoLakes Travel programme.
- 18/3/2013 - Celebration day for west Cumbria`s Children Looked After
A fun-packed day celebrating the achievements of west Cumbria’s Children Looked After is taking place on the shores of Derwentwater this weekend.
- 18/3/2013 - NowCard users reminded to renew their pass by the end of the month
Cumbria County Council is reminding concessionary bus pass holders that, if they haven't already done so, they need to apply for replacement NoWcards if they expire on 31 March.
- 15/3/2013 - Highways changes agreed by South Lakeland Local Committee
County councillors in South Lakeland have agreed a series of traffic orders at today's Local Committee meeting.
- 15/3/2013 - Cumbrian pupils triumph in consumer quiz
Cumbria County Council Trading Standards Service this week held the very first Trading Standards Institute Consumer Challenge Quiz which saw pupils from five schools scooping prizes for their efforts and knowledge.
- 15/3/2013 - Public invited to have their say on highways changes in Near Sawrey
Cumbria County Council is seeking views from members of the public on proposals for highway improvements for Near Sawrey village in Furness, and a community drop-in session will be held at Braithwiate Hall in Far Sawrey on Wednesday 20 March from 3.30pm – 7pm.
- 14/3/2013 - Cockermouth to learn more about Main Street improvements
Local people in Cockermouth are to get the chance to hear more about a major £1.
- 14/3/2013 - Cabinet decision paves the way for extra 2,500 properties to get superfast broadband
The percentage of Cumbrian properties due to get access to superfast broadband could climb to 94% following a decision from Cumbria County Council’s Cabinet to expand their bid to the Rural Communities Broadband Fund (RCBF) to include an additional 3 project areas: Eden Valley Digital, Great Asby & Northern Fells.
- 14/3/2013 - School budgets allocated as new rules come into force
Schools in Cumbria will find out what new funding rules mean for them when they receive information about their 2013/14 budget allocation from Cumbria County Council this week.
- 14/3/2013 - First anniversary for Carlisle fire station
Since coming into service 12 months ago a Carlisle fire station has deployed crews to 513 incidents, conducted more than 1,700 home safety visits and delivered nearly two dozen Heartstart courses.
- 13/3/2013 - Construction completed at Britain`s Energy Coast Construction Skills Centre
The new £7m Britain's Energy Coast Construction Skills Centre at Lakes College, Lillyhall is being delivered ahead of schedule and on budget in a construction programme which has involved using a range of renewable technologies and working with students at the college and young apprentices.
- 12/3/2013 - Cash for communities in Barrow
More than £40,000 has been granted to a variety of community projects and causes across Barrow.
- 11/3/2013 - Apprentice Challenge
Apprentices from Cumbria County Council are fighting it out to be crowned ‘Apprentice Team of the Year’.
- 8/3/2013 - Trading Standards confirm that no pork or horsemeat found in local beef products
Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards are pleased to announce that, following the completion of the first and second phase of the Food Standards Agency’s (FSA) UK-wide survey of beef products, local Cumbrian suppliers have all tested negative for pork and horsemeat.
- 7/3/2013 - Town-wide forum for Workington residents
A Workington-wide neighbourhood forum and drop-in session taking in five areas around the town is being held next week by Cumbria County Council on Wednesday, 13 March, 6pm to 9pm at The Bridge Centre in Central Square..
- 6/3/2013 - Consumer quiz for Cumbrian kids
Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards Team will be holding a quiz morning to help young people with learning difficulties become more savvy and confident consumers, at the Penrith Leisure Centre on Wednesday 13 March 2013.
- 6/3/2013 - New waste plant opens in Barrow
Waste from homes in Barrow, South Lakeland and Eden is being dealt with in a cleaner and greener way than ever before, thanks to a new waste treatment facility which has officially been opened in Barrow.
- 6/3/2013 - Youth orchestra and schools team up for concerts
Young musicians and singers from across Cumbria will be taking part in a mass musical ensemble at two concerts this month.
- 5/3/2013 - Glowing praise for council`s school transport service
A survey of students, parents and carers using the council’s school transport service has shown widespread satisfaction, with over three quarters giving the service the thumbs up for quality and reliability.
- 4/3/2013 - County council invests £500k on road works improvements
Cumbria County Council is to carry out £500k maintenance works on the A5086 between Mockerkin South Junction and the Dean/Pardshaw Crossroads.
- 4/3/2013 - Cash boost for Eden communities
More than £75,000 has been granted to a variety of community projects and causes across Eden.
- 4/3/2013 - Go-ahead for permanent traffic signals on Lazonby`s Eden Bridge
Traffic signals will be permanently installed at Lazonby’s Eden Bridge following a green light from councillors and the local community.
- 4/3/2013 - School children getting ready for the Big Pedal
Hundreds of school pupils all over Cumbria are getting ready to jump on their bikes and scooters to take part in a national travel-to-school challenge.
- 1/3/2013 - Barrow waste plant official opening
The second phase in a revolution in the way Cumbria deals with its household waste will be on Wednesday, 6 March with the official opening of the new Southern Resource Park mechanical biological treatment (MBT) plant at the Sowerby Woods industrial estate in Barrow.
- 1/3/2013 - Celebrating Youth Facebook account now live
A new Facebook account for promoting youth activities and highlighting issues that matter to young people across Cumbria is now live.
- 1/3/2013 - School place applications success
More than 96 per cent of applicants who applied by the closing date for secondary school places in Cumbria have secured their first preference.